Here’s a great idea for an easy dessert! Pineapple Upside Down Cake in the Instant Pot is a breeze, and the best part is that even if you’re using a boxed cake mix, this will make enough for about three cakes so you can have a couple extras to stash away in the freezer. If you are going Gluten Free, just make sure you use a Gluten Free Cake Mix, I will add a couple links to my favorites at the end of this post. I will also share the recipe for the super simple Icing Drizzle that I topped this with.
For the Cake, You Will Need:
1 Can of Pineapple in Juice (not in syrup)
1 yellow cake mix (mine asked for 3 eggs, some oil and 1 cup of water, *Save the Pineapple juice and substitute that for the water)
1. Spray the baking dish with nonstick baking spray. Put Pineapple chunks in a layer on the bottom of the baking dish.
2. Mix up cake batter per directions, remembering to use the Pineapple juice in place of the water. Pour the batter into the baking dish on top of the Pineapple pieces and cover with tin foil.
3. Pour 1 cup of water in the bottom of IP. Set trivet in place and lower the covered cake into the Instant Pot. Set to Manual High pressure for 25 minutes with NPR.
– This makes enough for 2-3 cakes. I used a 7″x2″ cake pan, and a 3-cup bundt pan stacked on top of each other.
– I made a quick drizzle, but it wasn’t even needed because it was delicious as is.
For the Icing Drizzle:
1 cup of Powdered (confectioner’s) Sugar
1-4 teaspoons of milk. Use as little liquid as possible to ensure your it’s nice and thick and doesn’t soak into the cake. You could substitute the Milk for melted butter, Coconut Oil, Pineapple Uuice, etc. This is also great with a twist of Lemon Juice in place of the Milk. This is so easy to stir that you can just use a fork and break up any sugar clumps.
If you are looking to purchase cake pans for your Instant Pot, Amazon has a great selection and the two posted below fit wonderfully in all sizes of Instant Pot and work great!